Sunday, February 17, 2013

Why are Crafters So Generous and Other Random Bits

In addition to support, encouragement, and admiration when non-knitters and crocheters have heard the Friends group’s efforts on behalf of all those affected and those still being affected by KAL, ACM, CM Ltd., there has also been surprise expressed consistently involving the use of the words knitters and nice.

Well knitters and crocheters are nice. Actually they are some of the nicest, most generous people I know and have known. A few days ago, I discovered a quote which I think explains a good part of our niceness:

We don’t knit to make things. We knit to make ourselves happy!

This is from Annie Modesitt’s online class page (Check out her new book: History on Two Needles published by Cooperative Press.) I was struck by the truth of these statements and it was reinforced by a remark from one of my classmates yesterday about how easy it is to lose an entire day knitting. All of us at the table nodded and made noises of agreement. You can only lose yourself in something when it makes you happy ergo knitters and crocheters are happy people. And happy people are nice people. Happy people are also generous people. I have a crocheting friend whom I have never seen crocheting anything or planning a project for herself. Every time I see her with a project or hear about a project it’s for a family member, co-worker, or friend. I think I would get general agreement that fiber crafters turn to each other for help. And what we ourselves don’t know, we point the questioner to a resource that can help.  

I admit to being a selfish sewer. I don’t like sewing for others. I enjoy sewing. It actually zones me out more than knitting. I’ve learned to schedule myself when I sew because I found I forget to do basic things like eat. I think it’s the process of construction in sewing that I find so relaxing. 

No process is perfect. Knitting, crocheting often involves ripping back hours of work or getting part of the way through a project or to the end to realize the yarn and the design weren’t meant for each other or the item doesn't fit or that gorgeous colored yarn in entire garment makes one look dreadful. Or realizing at some point that this isn’t what you want to make (Us fiber crafters all have works in progress (wips) hidden away that someday will get frogged or finished). And most projects aren’t perfect but learning to live with the imperfections, our failures and our successes is part of the joy. 

When you are happy, when you are part of a community in which generosity, cooperation, and support are naturally occurring, these values and behaviors become inculcated and affect your behavior and attitude in other areas of your life.

What’s on the Needles

I am participating in the Folk Shawls forum KAL on Ravelry knitting the Wool Peddler’s Shawl from the book Folk Shawls. I’m should begin the lace part tomorrow. And unless there is any more hidden in my stash, this project should use up the last of my Knit Picks Special Buy Pumpkin sport yarn.

 

I should also finish the second sock of my Knee High First Time Tube socks. I’ve modified the pattern to add an afterthought heel and I’m knitting the foot in stockinette.
 
 
I’m totally in denial about the other wips on the needles.

Knit Picks Customer Credit Card Information Compromised. Click
If you have shopped online at Knit Picks or any of the Crafts Americana businesses, please check your credit/debit card/bank statements. If the Ravelry topic on this issue is any gauge, a lot of people have been affected.

No comments:

Post a Comment