Sunday, February 17, 2013

Cast-On Class with Shirley Paden


One of the big frustrations of 2012 for me was each time Shirley Paden came town to teach, I was on travel. So as I blogged before, when I saw the announcement at Looped, I paid for my purchases, caught the bus, arrived back at my desk, enrolled and paid for the Cast On Class in under 10 minutes. 

Had the most wonderful experience yesterday. We covered 18 cast ons in the four hours. I learned a lot; have a lot to practice and a lot to put into practice. I am more than a little graphically impaired (someday I will post on the blog the story of what happen when a mall I frequented several times a week changed their signage from the word Restroom to the Male and Female symbols used in airports) so drawings and pictures are many times incomprehensible or very difficult for me to understand. The most valuable take ways from this class, besides the practice and explanations of the best uses for the different cast ons, was having the memory of what the hands and yarn are supposed to be doing and being able to relate that to the drawings in the workbook. The other lovely thing about the class was being taught by someone knowledgeable and experienced means that there are ancillary bits of information relayed, like about the importance, size and what your swatch tells you besides the stitch and row gauge, that are spontaneously given. 

Having been a trainer, there were little things that I appreciated. Although the students were given a list of materials, Shirley came prepared with yarn, needles, hooks, scissors, and highlighters (which were really useful) just in case. She used a bulky weight yarn in easy to see colors for her demonstrations and she always elicited and encouraged not only feedback, but constantly reminded us that we were doing a lot of these cast ons for the first time. I always used to say in my software training classes that it was more important to remember that you can do something then to remember the exact steps to do it. At one point, I was unable to get my yarn and needles in the correct position for long-tailed cast on. After several frustrating attempts, I had to stop, breathe, and take the advice of a fellow student. 

I instinctively knew from Shirley’s design alongs in her Ravelry group that she was a generous person. My opinion was borne out in her teaching style, the way she helped individuals, and the way she took time at the end of class to chat to each of us. I didn’t sign up for the other sessions because I didn’t think I was skilled enough. That is a mistake I won’t make again. I might not know enough about finishing or design, but next time I have an opportunity to take a class or classes from Shirley Paden, I’m signing up for them all.

Shirley is teaching a design class on Craftsy, which is currently on sale. Of course, I’m enrolled. 

Just a word about Looped Yarn Works: I have had the fortunate of experience (which I’ve learned is not true of all knitters) of always having helpful and kind owners and staff in local yarn stores. But Looped Yarn Works staff and management are exceptional. They have been able to expand their space adding a lovely, functional, bright and comfortable training room. I love the fact that they carry yarns from local crafts people like Wandering Wool. And although Looped has been open for about a year and half, the shop has gone from strength to strength in yarn selection, their podcasts and the expansion of their class offerings with the new space. They also contribute yarn, support, and advertise community charity opportunities. If you are local to Looped, watch their website for an April class on Knitting and Meditation. The instructor is a friend and I highly recommend you consider enrolling in this class. You won’t be disappointed.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiences in the class. I hope to one day be as luck as you.

    ReplyDelete