Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Plunge


The Plunge

One of the things I discovered in my early knitting days were the Mon Tricot stitch dictionaries. They are no longer in print but can be found on EBay. If the hours were counted up, I’ve probably spent several months (okay maybe years) of my life looking through these and knitting swatches. I have a set of the Barbara Walker stitch dictionaries—more hours and more swatches. Well last week I took the plunge. A plunge I’ve been wanting, desiring to take for several years and bought Knitting Patterns Book 300, a Japanese Stitch Dictionary. It has consumed my reading time the last two evenings. My little fingers are itching to start knitting swatches. I am also aching to own Knitting Patterns Book 300 Lace and the $90 1000 Knitting (and Crochet) Patterns book. The text is in Japanese, but the patterns are charted using standard knitting symbols. The number of stitches and rows in a repeat are clearly boxed. At the back, is a glossary with clear drawings illustrating the steps to executing each of the symbols. And the stitch patterns are stunning. Take a look here.

Ten Talented Designers You Ought to Know:

Ashley Knowlton @ Wonkknits

Bianca Boonstra @ Bianca Boonstra Designs

Elizabeth Lovick @ Northern Lace

Eskimimi @ Eskimimi Makes

Guernseygal @ GuernseyGal Designs

Joan Forgione @ Papermoon Knits


Sara Fama @ Knitting Along

Woolly Wormhead @ Woolly Wormhead

On the needles: Socks
 

No comments:

Post a Comment