Saturday, February 9, 2013

Afterthought Heel

There are myriad of resources and video tutorials available on the Internet as well as in books. I’m only going to list a few. To explain in a bit more detail, my heel issue is this: I have a 4A width foot with a 5A width heel. So my repeated attempts to master sock knitting arise from a very practical need: most commercial socks are too wide for both my feet and heels. The result is that I end up having extra fabric around my foot and heel, or the heel of the sock rests at the bottom of my ankle. Totally unattractive and in thicker socks, uncomfortable. So my hunt in sock knitting has been to find a heel which works first time every time. I think I’ve done that with the afterthought heel. What I didn’t do, which most books and tutorials recommend, is knit the entire sock, and then knit the heel. I knit the length of cuff I wanted. Then knit a row with waste yarn. Started again with the project yarn and knit for about two inches. Using another set of the same size dpns, I then knit the heel; bound off with Kitchener Stitch and the reattached the yarn and resumed knitting the foot of the sock. I could have measured or calculated how much length the heel would add to the foot as done in the video tutorial.

Some Resources:





Toupie is very good about yarn 98% of the time. He is a little challenged when I’m blocking (pulls at the pins, lays on the drying fabric) and occasionally has fits of mischief when I’m laying out yarn or fabric to photograph. But yarn coming out the Yarn Tainer drives him wild. When I knit from freezer baggies, he’s not bothered. There is nothing better for skeins of Lion Brand Fisherman’s wool than the Yarn Tainer, as long as I keep the water bottle equally close at hand to squirt the resident feline.

No comments:

Post a Comment