Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Toupie is a Nester

I've had cats as pets since age 11. Toupie has been the most unique in a number of ways.

Verticle Experiments: Basically knocking things off shelves and tables for the fun of it. This behavior has gotten better with age. He no longer wakes me up in the morning by pushing at the ends of books until they fall off the shelves.

Trash Runs: Toupie loves being in the hall; loves seeing and watching other people. Knows that being cute and cuddly gets him attention from strangers. He's the most sociable cat I've ever had.

Bathroom: I don't know what it is about cats and the bathroom. Well, I sort of do. It's the constant anticipation and fascination of the flushing toilet. Toupie really has to be dead to the world not to wake up and stagger to the toilet.

Cooking: Want to get Toupie to meow? Shut the door to the kitchen and make coffee. Most cats I've had will sit and watch the back and forth of cooking. But not Toupie. He's on his hind legs at the sink--still can't see anything--but he's straining to figure out washing dishes or chopping onions. Take a baggie out of the drawer and Toupie is right there front paws on the drawer head peering at the box of baggies. Stirring the pot: Not without Toupie on his hind legs trying to see what's happenin'. The kitchen is where we have the most collisions/tail steppings. I get engrossed in pulling ingredients from the pantry, step, turn, and then jump at the loud shriek.

Last but not least, the microwave. The microwave sits on a table that is low enough that he can see inside. It's like kitty tv in 3D. He loves watching the plates of food and bags of popcorn go round and round.

The Alarm Clock: Heaven forfend this should go off when I'm in the shower. He meows, howls, and paces at the door. The moment I open it, he runs, jumps on the bed and waits for me to turn it off. I've tried to convince him that he can do, but no dice.

Nesting: Now this is where Toupie is really different. He rearranges items in my tote bag so that they are comfortable enough for him to curl up on the bag and nap while I'm at the computer.
I folded up my bedding each morning so it doesn't become so cat hair encrusted (fruitless, I know). Toupie has two strategies with the folded bedding

He curls up behind it and if I move around or pass by, he peers over it to watch me.
He paws at the edges until it is arranged the way he wants before he settles in and curls up, often using the side of the stack as a pillow.

Tonight he discovered that one of the comforters was on the drying rack. He meowed so, that I had to push a section between the racks and create a sling for him to nestle in. He climbed in, settled down facing the door.

Yarn: He's very good about yarn. I've only caught him once walking around with a skein of yarn in his mouth. He rarely bothers me or the yarn when I'm knitting, except for crochet hooks. He gets the same excited look in his eyes when he spots a crochet hook as when he sees an emory board. However, I have to keep the drawer with the knitting needles closed. He likes to sit on top of the cabinet and dig around in knitting needles with one paw. I think because most of the dpns and straights are stored there and they do tend to roll around when pushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment