Sunday, February 6, 2011







Chausettes Deux

I’m not sure I like toe-up sock construction, but no matter, I am on the leg portion of my first toe-up sock. Doing this KAL (knit along) has been exciting, helpful, and an all around good experience because there has been so much encouragement and help from fellow participants.

The pattern I chose is Toe Up Socks with a Difference by Wendy Johnson. I’m using a 3.00mm circular needle which is 1mm larger than the recommended needle. I have since learned that socks should have a bit of negative ease, which these socks will lack. I’m not bothered, because at this point in my sock-knitting career, ending up with a sock is more important than getting a perfect sock. I was little thrown by the gusset instructions and knitted two rows wrongly, but the knowledge I’d gained my previous work with gussets (thumbs on fingerless gloves) kicked in and I was able to compensate. I didn’t frog. I hate frogging. But now the construction makes sense and I will apply the gained experience on the second sock.

The next problem I encountered was with the heel flap repeats. I ended up with a few holes that will be easy to close up.

I think I don’t like the wrap and turn bits and picking up the wraps. Before I start the second sock, I’m going to view a video and reread wrap and turn instructions.

When I finish these socks, I think I will do a pair of top down socks using the Ann Budd book. There is, however, a toe up sock pattern that I really would like to do. That is Maeva from Winter 2011 Knitty.

Updates:

· I’m still knitting the scarf part of the Nomad Hat. I don’t think I shall make the scarf as long as the pattern calls for. First because this part of the hat is a little boring and second because the purple coat has a high collar, so not that much scarf is required.

· I still need to sew the flaps onto the Cabled Hat.

· I’m still waiting on my second skein of Foxen Sheep.

The world is really a very small place. The laundry room was madness this morning because one woman managed to dominate all the washing machines except the two I was using. I shared this information with another poor woman who showed up with one small basket and was frustrated at finding all the machines taken. Fortunately the washing machine hog showed up and empty a machine. I was unloading my washing, and the woman with small basket asked about my large granny square afghan. Turns out she recently took a crochet class at Looped Yarn Works and also works with the daughter of one of the owners. I had met the daughter a year and a half ago and that’s how I learned that Looped was coming. I spread out the granny square afghan and showed her how from a circle a square is created. Later on when I was washing the crochet shawl, I showed her how from a row of single and double crochet, the shell pattern of the shawl was created. It is so nice to talk to a perfect stranger who shares your passion. She confessed she hadn’t been able to stop crocheting since the class and I totally got that. There is something so rewarding in creating. It’s a constant learning process; it’s relaxing; and there is an irreproducible feeling of accomplishment when you’ve finished. I think it’s the learning that I enjoy. Sometimes I don’t realize (like with the gusset) that I understand what is going on until I get there and the light bulb goes off. I graze through old knitting magazine issues and look at patterns that I’d not considered or considered with longing and know, “I can do that!”

I do have a quandary. I think the economic downturn has hit the knitting magazine industry. Subscription offers are coming fast and furious in the mail. I subscribed to Vogue again because the offer was cheaper than when I first subscribed in2009. Also because with the subscription, I got a $20 gift certificate to the Vogue Knitting Store. Well now I don’t know what to buy. I bought the few patterns I really wanted when Vogue had a killer sale on downloadable patterns last year. The store is offering Hattitude and Cowlgirls, which are both want to haves; but I can get both of those from Amazon for a total of 23.51 without paying shipping. Whereas with the gift certificate, I can only buy one of the books and will have to pay shipping.

I discovered whilst getting details on the trunk show at Looped Yarn Works is the 15% discount after accumulating 250 points. I didn’t see any place on the website to sign up, so I asked about it yesterday. It turns out that your points are printed on your receipt. I’ve got 130 points. A real woo hoo moment to realize that I’m over half way to my first discount.

I’ve bought another knitting book that has rocked my world: Designing Knitwear by Deborah Newton. There is so much juicy stuff about process in this book. She’s made me excited about swatching. There are also great patterns that illustrate her points.

Movies:

I got hooked on watching season 1 of Mistresses. It was the innovative and the soapy. The plot for the doctor is utterly mad and totally stupid. The lawyer’s plot is a little melodramatic although I really grew to like the character of her lover. The Trudy and Jessica plots are really innovative. Enough so, that I can’t wait to see season 2. Of course, Netflix doesn’t have season 2.

I watched 49th Parallel again last weekend. It had been years since I’d seen it and there were whole bits that I’d forgotten.

I watched an episode of Midsomer Murders was like Friday the 13th in the Cotswolds.

I’m waiting for Netflix to get Stephen Tompkison in Aftermath.

No comments:

Post a Comment