Monday, January 2, 2012

Mitered Mitts Done; Top-Down Gauge Swatch Drying

Well I did the thumb trick and I don't like it. It's too nerve racking plain and simple. I think the fact that the stitches were at an angle made it more nerve racking. On the right hand glove the thumb begins too close to the center and the left thumb is at an odd angle. But both gloves are wearable. The salmon is a lovely color (I don't think any of the photos really capture that.

I do love the pattern and will make again. There is a thumb that others have done on Ravelry, which I will take a look at. I am also considering just knitting with a provisional yarn at the 5.5" point in the glove and then unravelling the provisional yarn, picking up the stitches and knitting the thumb that way. I don't have a yarn scale, but I reckon I used .75-.80 of a 220 yd skein. That works out to wool and alpaca mittens for under $5.00.

Something finally registered this morning as I was reading the pattern for the Mobius Cowl with the
I-cord edging knit at the same time as the cowl in Knitting Around. I'm amazed how dense I can be sometimes.

Legwarmers have been on my wish list and I'd sort of set aside the Gansey Legwarmers as a potential, which they still are. However, this morning I spied these but the pattern wasn't for sale this morning, but it was this afternoon, so I bought it. I am considering Cascade Eco+ in Cinnamon.

I'm participating in the top-down sweater KAL. After being horridly undecided, I finally settled on Lady Kina. Since there is such a difference in my shoulder and bust width, I'm knitting size 44 but using a cable cast on and will knit the garter stitch rows using a size 5 needle to compensate for the propensity of garter stitch to grow. I've also decided to do bust darts using the instructions from the Knotions website as a guide.

Haven't felt well all weekend and today I have sore throat. Been drinking hot water with lemon all afternoon and finally broke down and took a motrin. Should have known something was up when I went to bed at 7:30 on New Year's Eve and then took a three hour nap yesterday morning :(.

No comments:

Post a Comment