Thursday, March 10, 2011

Hull or Husk

Today started out warm and rainy. It rained all day getting progressively windier and chilly. Not a very appetizing day for a smoke break, but when I went out after lunch, I discovered the ledges of the tree boxes were covered in bits that looked remarkably like the hulls or husks from popcorn...you know, the yellow transparent bits that get stuck in your teeth. Looking up at the trees, what had been closed buds were now opened budding clusters. The wind and the rain had knocked the hulls or husks off the buds.

It was a wonderous discovery and I realized that I'd never bothered to investigate buds before.

Traffic, of course, was a bit snarled. Riding public transport you are always dealing with what arises. The first bus I got on this evening had the heat on. The second bus had the AC blasting. I was grateful to get a seat, but not to feel like a birdseye vegetable by the time I got home. A large mug of African Rooibos tea soon took the chill off.

I discovered African Rooibos quite by accident. I was looking for Lapsong Soochong and there wasn't any on the shelves. So I picked up theAfrican Rooibos instead. Now I have at least three cups every evening.

Speaking of drinks, I had a Diet Pepsi last week. First time in about 8 weeks. It tasted like chemicals. Even the bite of the fizz, which I used to love so much, was a turn off.

I'm quite wacked this evening. It's been an action-packed week: Losar Celebrations on Saturday; I volunteered to aid at Contentment in Everyday Life on Monday; I coordinated this month's Learning to Meditate class on Wednesday and I've been getting up early these last two mornings to watch the Karmapa's Spring Teaching.

I am almost at the point of starting the gusset on the Pumpkin Socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment