Saturday, January 8, 2011

Garns Spring 2011 and memorizing patterns

Garns Studio is previewing it's Spring 2011 collection. These are just downright cute! Perfect summer house slippers.


Cabled Hat:

About 8" into knitting the cabled band. Have memorized this part of the pattern. I used to read with envy knitters posting how they memorized patterns or repeats and think it a great triumph when I memorize the yo k1 yo of the center of triangle shawl. Having done the 4-stLC and 4-stRC whilst knitting the front and back panels of the hat, I really only had to learn the two rows in between cabling rows on Chart 2 for the cabled band. I also can now clearly read my knitting and so have concluded that the memorization is partially remembering the stitches, knitting the same repeat, and being able to read those stitches in your fabric.


I also perusing Interweave Knits Weekend 2009. It's interesting watching my skills develop to where patterns that I pondered wistfully as above my skill-level, become perfectly understandable and doable. So I have marked the Provence Cloche as spring hat that I will knit in Knit Picks Prussian and Elann Sonata in a buff color. I just happened to put these two skeins together on a table awhile ago and realized a few hours latter what a nice complement they were to each other.
It snowed about a inch overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment