Thursday, December 29, 2011

Wednesday, I was naughty or What a difference three inches makes

Finished the first of the mitered gloves last night. Using 8" size 5 dpns was slowing down my knitting, so yesterday on my way to meet some peeps for lunch, I did two things:

  1. Cashed in my change, which netted a cool 105.35
  2. Went to Looped Yarn Works for 6" #5 dpns; 24" #9 and #10 circular needles and to hopefully find a mohair yarn for cowl.
Now this was easy because the bank is on one side of the street and Looped is on the other side. :)

I looked at the sale table (always my undoing at Looped) touched one yarn and walked away. Found one skein of Rowan Kidsilk Haze in a wheat yellow colour. Wandered to the front room, turned right and there was Rowan Creative Focus in Golden Heather. A little history, I've moved this particular yarn in and out of my Webs basket over the past two weeks. As of 11:15 yesterday, it was out of my basket; and I had dismissed it on the premise that I don't need more yarn. It's gorgeous. It's a soft wool and alpaca blend and the color is amazing next to my skin. I scooped up one skein and headed to get my needles. I also bought a copy of Interweave Crochet Winter 2011 which I am still digesting.

Went off to meet the peeps for lunch. It really is so nice to have friends that you can be completely yourself with, who are as interested in you and your life as you are in them and their lives. We can be bitchy, supportive, get angry for and with, laugh with and at each other never disturbing that deep current of love and respect that we have for each other. Because there was a bit of to and frowing about where we were going to eat--we almost always end up at the same place--we decided before leaving Nicola's to have our next lunch at Grillfish on January 26.

I have been eating at Nicola's for about seven years, mostly eating the buffet which at $11.00 including beverage and a pasta dish, is really one of the best bargains in town. But yesterday was cold and blustery and I wanted something warm. I tried the Fusili Luciana. OMG, what have I been missing for seven years. Al dente roti with sundried tomatoes, shrimp and a sprinkling of fresh arugula in a marscapone and white wine sauce.

What a difference three inches makes! I was easily able to whip through and finish the first mitered mitten last night. Have cast on for the second mitered mitten. Saturday morning will be devoted to doing EZ's thumb trick. Oh yeah and btw, after arriving home and petting Toupie, I logged on to Webs and bought 7 skeins of the Rowan Creative Focus in the Golden Heather colourway.

During my week of knitting, I've been tidying (in a rather uninspired way), cooking, playing with Toupie, and watching a few series on Netflix. I rewatched Ken Burns's Jazz series. It still hasn't infused me with an appreciation of jazz after circa 1940. It still seems to me that the conversation that is jazz started to speak a foreign language that I can't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment