Sunday, May 23, 2010

Vacation, Work, Knitting

I'm supposed to be on vacation, but as usual work has interrupted that and until Thursday, I was furiously beavering away at home.

But I have managed to get some knitting time in.


Leaf and Flower Stole is proceeding towards it's end.



Ishbel



Bought Whimsical Little Knits on Wednesday. This e-book by Isolda Teague had long been on my wish list. I started the Ishbel shawl and almost gave it up. The tab beginning I don’t think I did correctly (hopefully I can correct the error during blocking) and the k3, yo, p threw me until I looked it up in Mary Thomas and Vogue Knitting book. And then lo and behold, the yarn over was discussed in this week’s Ask a Knitter blog on Ravelry. Paid close attention to counting the number of stitches in the stockingnette section and am now starting the lace and it’s going a treat.

I do credit Linda CC and her Leaf and Flower Stole for my new found comfort and confidence in knitting lace. Knitting that pattern helped me to "get it."

Suddenly looking at the Orenburg Lace Shawl book last night I was able to see that in Orenburg lace there is only k2tog with no accompanying sl1 k2 psso.

I also spent some time exploring Japanese knit and crochet patterns. I'm particularly interested in Japanese crochet patterns. My aunt Fannie (my father's sister) taught me to crochet. She didn't crochet from patterns or samples but from memory and that's how I learned (although I have never mastered filet crochet). I have a lot of her pieces.

What I have never mastered is the ability to read written crochet instructions, but what I can read (odd considering that I am symbol-challenged) is charted crochet symbols. Japanese knit and crochet patterns are printed with symbols and numbers (although there is some translation to written patterns underway). This makes it possible for me to crochet from patterns. Yay!!! So this is my next frontier.

I was very fortunate in making the crochet scarf http://ravel.me/croberon/jwjeq I did last year, because the woman who wrote the pattern also did You-tube videos of each step in the construction.

Toupie has enjoyed my being at home. He's getting lots of cuddle and play time.

No comments:

Post a Comment