Sunday, October 25, 2009

Steps That Count









Steps That Count
American Kidney Fund Walk
October 25, 2009
Silver Spring

This year I volunteered for the Steps that Count walk to raise money in support of the American Kidney Fund’s efforts to assist kidney patients and raise awareness about kidney disease. It’s been a fun and challenging experience. When I was young, I did a lot of volunteer and fundraising and I’d forgotten how much fun it is. I used to enjoy going door-to-door (in those days one could) to sell Girl Scout cookies, and manning tables for the American Cancer Society. I recalled that enjoyment as I visited shops, churches, and made phone calls over the summer. I had an interesting evening going out to a Health Happy Hour at Busboys and Poets to present for the walk.

After a day of constant rain on Saturday, we woke to a brisk morning that has given way to a glorious afternoon, but when you’re standing around in the shade, it gets downright chilly. Despite my Patagonia felted socks, my tootsies were starting to get cold near the end.
Here are some photos taken at this morning’s walk:






I placed at Wayne and Fenton to guide walkers to their next point.




And now for something completely different:
After returning to knitting seriously in the summer of 2008, one of the first patterns I looked for was a hood-like hat. I’ve scoured the Internet and Ravelry looking a smoke rings, cowls, and downloaded several and bought one or two patterns. FINALLY, I found a pattern that was easily convertible to different types of yarn, wasn’t lacy (lacy is nice but when you commute by public transport, warmth is the first criteria). I used love bulky yarns, but lately, I’ve really grown fond of fingering and laceweight yarn. I bought and downloaded one of Elizabeth Lovick’s cowl patterns. I eventually do want to knit the cowl with the cables but for now, I’m doing the basketweave cowl in Knit Picks Palette Cornmeal colourway. I’m not good at memorizing patterns, but this one is so simple, it’s quite easy to memorize.




























No comments:

Post a Comment