Sunday, October 11, 2009

The summer has come and gone.

There have been major changes in my life and in many ways nothing has changed.

I didn't really have anything clearly in mind when I started the blog, which is part of the explanation why I let it lapse over the summer. What I'd the focus to be what I'm creating (knitting, sewing, embroidery), what I'm reading, watching and other cultural forays.


Knitting:

I'm knitting Lion Brand's Berkely Cardigan pattern using Knit Picks Palette Currant. I really wanted Palette Tumeric but the yarn isn't available until mid-November. This is more of a lightweight cardigan coat with spider lace panels in the front. I'm using Knit Picks Harmony interchangables and managed--following the advice from the KP forum on Raverly--to attached the needles using the screw and woo hoo the needles and cables haven't separated. I am working on the back and today I ran a lifeline; super simple.

I also have a green beret on the needles. I'm using Knit Picks Gloss sock yarn.

Lastly, the memory pillow for Graham. Graham died on August 15. He'd contracted an upper respiratory infection that his body didn't have the resources nor his heart the strength to fight. I'm doing a memory pillow in the the Humber Keel pattern for Graham's family. This will be a project that I can only work on at home as I will need to follow the knits and purls of the Gansey pattern closely. There was a wonderful article in the most recent issue (#18) of Yarn Forward on Ganseys. Actually if you are in the market for a yarn magazine, I highly recommend Yarn Forward. All the patterns in the magazine come in sizes 30-50in. It was reading Yarn Forward article on knitting lace that gave me the confidence to try a lace scarf. Best of all the magazine is available for single issue purchase or subscription electronically at Yudu.

I spent a small part of my overtime during September on a Knit Picks ball winder. Here are my first cakes:

Photobucket
The photograph does not do the Jewels colorway justice.




Watching:


Life on Mars Series I, the UK Version.

Never thought Netflix was going to get this.

Overlook that I drool over anything with Philip Glennister. This is a well-written, well-acted series with an interesting premise that leads the first series to end unpredictably predictable. I rented the first disk of The Sweeney, a series which was actually filmed in the same time period as the setting for Life on Mars. I didn't finish watching The Sweeney. Life on Mars is much better. Series 2 will be available from Netflix in early November. Guess what's at the top of my queue.

No comments:

Post a Comment