Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Spinning Wants and Woes

There are three things I've always wanted: a standing embroidery hoop; a loom; and a spinning wheel. I have a small lap loom which I need to get back to working on someday soon. I am at present so overcommitted to knitting that I seriously can't consider getting back to embroidery until Fall. However, since I intend to make a fuss over myself for my upcoming birthday, the spinning wheel looms as a real possibility.

I've been reading about them online and in print for about two years now. Last week I received a special offer from Interweave for 50% off of any order over $20. I took the plunge and bought digital editions of the new Knitscene and Weekend, the emag EntreKnit (I know understand customer complaints about the number of adverts--not that knitting mags in general are ever short on adverts) and the downloadable video of Respect the Spindle.

I watched the first 20 minutes of Respect the Spindle last night and in that short time, all the issues that I'd had trying to spindle were addressed and solutions given. I was so blown away and the only thing that kept my enthusiam in check was bedtime. I may not be able to join in the Tour de Fleece this year in any meaningful way, but I am confident with the help of this video that I'll be able to spin some yarn during the month. The Tour de Fleece is a Ravelry challenge where teams try to spin the most yarn during the Tour de France.

No comments:

Post a Comment