Sunday, May 29, 2011

Between Situations Part II

It's been a busy week. Mostly piddling around with a variety of householder administrative tasks not to mention a few chores between long periods of rest. We just don't realize how tired we are most times until we stop and don't have to do all the things we usually do. Friday, went in for a great orientation at the new job. Lots of interesting challenges. I use the word challenges to mean real problems that will require thought and consideration before arriving at a suggested approach to implement. Not in the pop speak way that something might be difficult or unpleasant to do.

The weather has gone from damp spring to end of June in a hurry. My sister's Facebook page said it all one day this week: Today's expected peak 90F; Today's expected mood: cranky
So now instead of the rustle of leaves and birdsong, I have the drone of the AC. Although I have to give it to the birds, they are holding their own until about 10:00am.

I also realized this week I need to stock up on sunblock. Walking to and from work most days will mean I'll be outside more than usual. Amazing it's not June 1 and I already have tan lines from my watch. But on the mornings when the temp is higher than 70, I will take the bus. I don't mind coming home hot, sticky and sweaty but I don't want to arrive at work that way.

I also bought two more Betmar sun hats: one green; one yellow

When I went out for lunch on Friday, I was spoiled for choice. After seven years in the West End with ever diminishing financially reasonable food choices, the world was my oyster or there were lots of oysters in my world. So I went to Burger King since I hadn't been to a Burger King in the last six months. It was dreadful. I'd been used to bringing my lunch. Won't be doing that too often.

Finally sorted through all my "office stuff". Still have piccys and other things to hang. Sorted through and disposed of shoes I haven't worn in almost a decade. Will put away the last of the sweaters and other items left out to get me through the cool days. Don't foresee many of those now. I tackled and rearranged the front closet. Lots of cat toys.

Speaking of cat toys. There used to be a great pet store on U street, which closed a few years ago. I have never been able to find the little glitter balls that I used to buy there for Toupie. A patient search and they turned up on Amazon as a craft items. The ones I ordered were way to small and a swallowing hazard, but I found that by sewing three to five of them together, they match the size of the ones I used to buy. Toupie is currently in toy heaven.

Speaking of the puss, he did something this week that he has never done before or since. He loves it when the toilet flushes. Something about the swirling water just mesmerizes him. One afternoon this week after watching the water disappear, he jumped on the seat and bending over he furiously attacked the incoming water with both paws, splashing it on his face--and everywhere else. After I stopped laughing and he stopped his splashing frenzy, I flushed again. Again he jumped up and went at the incoming water hammer and tongs this time making a real mess on the floor. I lowered the seat and began to mop up. The puss walked out of the bathroom and through the closet vocalizing the entire time.

This was in gmail today and when I read the survey question, grammatical bells started clanging in my head. Who is a relative pronoun, in this case being used in the interrogative, which means it can be used as a noun head. However, I think it would have been less jarring to use the more formal: For whom do you knit or since charity, one of the options, is an entity, not a person, I knit for and the the options might have been a better way to to phrase the survey question. Whew, finally got that off my chest.

I'm still knitting the shawl and the second Brewster sock. I disciplined myself this week not to just sit and knit. One of the things I learned in orientation is that the building is a bit chilly in winter. Hallelujah! I can wear real wool and not sweat at my desk like I'm in the Kalahari at noon. Also a reason to start on a pair of jazzy colourwork legwarmers.

Speaking of knitting, Knit Picks raised the price of solid colour Palette more than 59%. Like a lot of other Palette fans, a gradual price rise over a few years would have been absorbable. Now my go to yarn will be for designated projects mostly. There are other outlets for better quality yarn at sale prices that Palette will be competing with; whereas at 1.99 a skein it was no brainer to choose Palette. Shame really.

I've chosen a new futon to purchase. I won't purchase until later this summer, maybe July, because I want to do major furniture rearranging which with my dodgy shoulder and neck will take a few weekends. But this new model goes from bed to couch in one step.

No comments:

Post a Comment