Monday, April 4, 2011

Squirrel Week

Yes, folks, I know you've heard Cherry Blossom this and Cherry Blossom that, but it's really Squirrel Week.
It's been so cold and rainy we haven't seen many of our squirrel friends, but in today's blustery but unseasonable warmth they were out and about with abandoned. Why isn't when there are no clean forks, I don't have anyone else to blame. This is one of the pecularities of the single life. I know what some of my friends will say. "She'd have clean forks if she didn't use them to eat everything like pizza and chicken." Speaking of pizza which is one of my least favorite foods. I have found pizza that I like. Vace where I have been shopping since they opened their doors on Connecticut Avenue. A few weeks ago I had a slice of their pizza. It's quite amazing. Thin crust with really fresh ingredients. I had another slice on Friday night. It really hit the spot. Also at Brookville Market I've been buying a locally-made hummous. It's not soupy like the major brands. I keep buying tabouli as well but am determined to learn to make it in my food processor. Brookville also has Musette Petit Toast or petit pain grille. 8 slices = 70 calories; no chloresterol and no trans fats. It's the perfect accompaniement to a plate of tabouli and hummous or some sliced cheese. Better than crackers.

It is now April and the KAL for the top down socks starts this weekend. I've started knitting the Gansey Sock pattern using the Eggplant colourway of Knit Picks Essential/Stroll from my stash. I think the knitting would go faster in a lighter yarn because I'm having difficulty reading my stitches. I've got the cuff done on one and am now starting the leg. I'm using size 3 needles in the hopes of getting the 6.5 stitches per inch. I've finished one of the Tuscon socks and think that I will frog my second pair of toe up socks and do them top down.

Meanwhile, as promised, a Toupie item. I got this rather amazing shot of him after he rearranged my trousers in the closet to make a bed. His eyes are a very dark inky blue, but the flash caught the very bright turquoise his eyes sometimes reflect.


No comments:

Post a Comment