Thursday, December 30, 2010

Staycation Coming to a Close

Ah! 5 more days before it's back to real life. I never realized how much one eats. When you're out everyday you just pick up food if you need it. When you're home it's a rude awakening to realize you've eaten through your last shopping and it's time to go forage again.

My poor neighbors have been home as well and unwell since before Christmas. Although they haven't coughed through the night this week. Another neighbor, who failed to learn that one closes the door behind it and doesn't let it slam, is moving out. Thank goodness! He's been the subject of discussion amongst us because we've all be startled by his "slamming."


I ordered a bra from Bravissimo today. The colour is buttercup.


I've piddled around with a number of knitting projects, making a little progress here, and little progress there. I have been wanting to knit the nomad hat for over a year. I need a hat to go with my purple coat and after days of surfing for the yarn, finally found a magenta that will do. There are rumors online the the Vogue Winter is available at some B&N's. I might wander downtown today in the hopes of finding a copy.

Caron Simply Soft:

The heartbreaker was
a) discovering that I bought too much Caron Simply Soft last year. I didn't realize that I'd bought the 300 yard skeins. So, I have 1800 yards of the stuff.

b) reading the reviews on Raverly that said it isn't a good yarn for a garment. It grows apparently.

I bought to make the Gurensey skirt pattern. I have decided the best course is to save up for the yarn used by the designer.

Faced with yarn needing to be worked and not fit for it's original purpose, I started the Ring of Cables hat from Knit Picks. I made this hat in February 2009. The Pigeon Twist colourway (purple and grey) was just awful on me. I think the Caron Simply Soft Autumn Sunset colourway will work much better. It's a burgundy red orange, more burgundy red than orange and the yarn has a silky sheen. In 2009, it took me an entire Saturday of concentrated knitting to knit the cable ring. Most of the Sunday to join and pick up the 88 stitches to the knit the hat.

This time the knitting is a breeze. I've now memorized the cable pattern and knitted half the length of the ring in a few hours last night. I did a provisional crochet cast on. No more Kitchener Stitch for me! I must learn one of EZ's joins.

My goal for today is to finish spending down my FSA. Good grief this is a nightmare. I have 89.00 to go. The poor shelves of my linen closet and the medicine cabinet are filled to the gills.

The weather has turned wonderfully warm (mid 40s). It's so nice to go outside and not feel like an penguin in the midst of a blizzard at the bus stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment