Sunday, December 19, 2010

Interesting


I bought the current issue of Vogue because of the pattern above. I fully realize that it will take me several weeks to knit and that I may not finish it in time to wear this winter. But this is the sort of classic styling that transcends fashion.
I knew that I would choose a different yarn. So I was surprise to find that the designer conceived the pattern in a yarn other than the one chosen by Vogue. Link Gosh, I like the stitch definition and fabric created by the Cascade Superwash Bulky 128 so much better than the yarn chosen by Vogue.
Though I should by now be "over it", I remain constantly amazed at how the Internet makes it possible for a resource like Ravelry to exist bringing designers and knitters together. It's not just the plethora of patterns now available, but even more valuable is the expanded universe of experience and information about patterns and yarns, not to mention the thousands of tutorial videos on You Tube and other websites. I can remember whilst knitting my first top in the 80's making weekly trips to my lys with my project, pattern, and questions.
Even better is that each knitter on Ravelry has the opportunity to contribute to the universe of information by posting comments about their experience with an individual pattern or yarn. I have been saved more times than I can count from the comments and photos about a pattern I have seen in a magazine or on a website. And I have fully taken advantage of the access to designers to query them about sizing or other issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment