Thursday, June 10, 2010

Heaven

It's been an exhausting week. We're playing musical chairs at work (3 time since Nov for some of us) so there was lots of packing, purging, browsing (I found a clock that allows me to know the time anywhere in the world; a nice fleece, a long sleeved t-shirt, and a digital frame). In the midst of all the bustle, work continued sporatically. By 5:00, I was weary, feeling a little sore and aching to get home. I stopped to get some cat food and tabouleh. Although it's not something I'm usually picky about, I decided that tonight I want to sit down all the way home. So instead of getting the bus that goes down K Street, which is always crowded, I decided to get one of the 30 buses which goes down H Street. I alight at the northeast corner of Lafayette Square, walk one block, where I can get a bus home before the majority of riders board.

Tonight I noticed the event tents, the witches hats with the do not enter tape strung between them blocking off Madison Place. My immediate assumption was some musical event. However, I was delightfully surprised on crossing H Street to discover that it is the Fresh Farm Market by the White House (which sits on the south side of Lafayette Square). The market features vegetables (organic and non), handmade cheese, artisan bakers (the one I bought from spoke French) AND, to my ruin....yarn

And not just ANY yarn but : yarn made from locally raised sheep, which is then spun locally, which is hand-dyed/painted locally and sold locally. The intensity of the colours took my breath away. There was a purple that just reached out and grabbed me. I had a long and wonderful chat with the woman who dyes the yarn. Although it's not in the budget, I had to buy one skein. I chose a skein of Clune Forest an 30% Alpaca/70%Wool. It's a fingering/DK weight yarn with a lovely spring. I will post a photo tomorrow when I can photograph the skein in natural light. I won't knit it until I show the skein off to a few knitters at work. But in the meantime, even if you aren't a knitter, I encourage you to visit Solitude Wool.

The other harrowing thing about this week is that I've had something to do every evening, meaning I've been out past 10pm, every evening. Despite that, I've finished the stockingnette and A section of my second Ishbel.

To help in getting through what I knew was going to be a harrowing week, I'm watching the first three films in the Star Wars Trilogy and Gillian Armstrong's Starstruck.

No comments:

Post a Comment