Monday, February 20, 2012

Cat in Bag

Toupie loves to crawl into bags and sit while I'm at the computer
Toupie hating being photographed again

It's been an interesting week. Received the tome The Principles of Knitting by June Hemmons Hiatt. The link provided is to the e-book which you can download sans Kindle software for the same price. The hardcover is available from Amazon. This book had been out of print for twenty years. I learned more about short rows in 30 minutes of reading than in the last two years. It is an amazing achievement and an indispensible resource.

I learned something that is not really important in the scheme of things but which I just found bizzare. I'd been seeing for a number of years Yahoo headlines about the Duggers--the people with 19 children. Really never gave them a thought and just assumed she was like an octomom who did it the old fashioned way. Much to my surprise, I learned this week that the Duggers are a reality television show. I don't have cable. I so rarely watch television that one of my closest friends and her husband had a debate a year ago about whether I owned a television. I do. It's a flat screen. 15". I only watch once a week during football (American) season or if a Premier League (British) game is broadcast; special occassions, like the World Cup, Royal Wedding, the occassional Presidential Inaugural and when the Ten Commandments is broadcast.

I used to watch DVD's before Netflix changed the plan and it's cost. Now I occassionally watch streaming movies on either Netflix or Amazon (because I'm a Prime member).

What I do have is satellite radio at home. This and watching Al Jazeera on the Internet is my main source of entertainment and information.


A couple of months ago, I bought 10 skeins of Adriafil Duo Plus Comfort 52% Wool/48% Cotton yarn in the Sandstone colourway. I didn't like the colour or the composition of the yarn. I bagged it up. This week I returned to it in a stash search for transitional yarn to knit for spring. OH my, this yarn is lovely. Soft to hand, knits like butter, creates a soft drapey fabric that might work up until the really hot days of August when it still may work because both fibres breathe.



I also knit a swatch of the Bristol Yarn Gallery Somerset 85% Pima 15% Silk yarn I purchased last year for a summer top. Another soft to hand yarn, with a slight tendency to be splitty if you aren't careful.

Work continues on the Lady Kina and on the lap rug.

Movies:

Veer-Zaara: This movie was long, beautiful photographed and acted. Highly recommend.
Fanaa: Ultimately a love story but with an unexpected and bizzare twist.
The Mill and the Cross: If you've ever looked at a work of art and wondered what it would be like if the characters came to life. This is one of the most stunningly beautiful films I've ever seen. The dialogue gives context to the message the picture was trying to convey. This is film to be seen.
Downton Abbey Part 2: Well we know a Part 3 is coming. Didn't like the developments in the last episode, but we'll see.



No comments:

Post a Comment